Monday, January 23, 2012

Pork Balls and Noodle Soup


Gung Hay Fat Choy - Happy New Year!

It is a year of a Dragon and I started it with a big bowl of pork balls and noodle soup with a lot of vegetables for breakfast. I bought Vietnamese Pork balls in Chinatown, even Vietnamese and Chinese don’t make these meat balls at home so neither did I. It is very simple to make. The noodles are cooked separately in a pot with salted water and placed in bottom of soup bowl. While the stock was simmering with the pork balls I chopped garlic and ginger and add it to soup, then I julienned carrots, sliced celery stalk, cut up some broccoli flowerets, sliced Napa cabbage leaves and chopped 2 green onions for garnish. All the vegetables were dropped into soup together, brought back to boil and ladled on top of noodles. The soup was seasoned with soy sauce, sesame oil and freshly ground white pepper. All done in under 20 minutes. For noodles I used Chinese dry egg noodles. When they are boiled thy stretch to about 18” long. This soup must be eaten with spoon and chopsticks.

No comments: